Wow, we are heading into another decade, it sounds massive, so solid, so expectant.
So many things have happened in this past year, let alone the past 10,right?
At the end of the year I love to reflect, take stock and give thanks. To see where I can grow and be open to endless opportunities that await us.
I want to encourage you and want you to pat yourself on the back for all you have achieved in the past 10 years.
This past decade particularly has been quite iconic for me – I was 22 now turning 32 in a few days. I started my adult life in a big city, hundreds of kilometres away from my home. I have learnt that you can only prepare so much for life – you can study hard, be good, do good, go to church, forgive, mess up, learn, repeat the mess up, learn a harder lesson – eat loads, love loads, meet tons of people, battle the flu and other illnesses in between life, work, love and studies.
Don’t forget leaning about finances and dangerous creepy people. I have bought way too many sale items that when I think about it, I didn’t really like but thought it was amazing that I saved money, but in actual fact I really could have owned a luxury wardrobe by now if I put things into perspective.
I spent way too much on time on what others thought.
I did not speak up enough.
I did not ask questions.
I let people get away with disrespecting me.
I did not know how to handle emotion.
I was chaotic, but in a cute way. Almost too sweet that anyone could believe I had a temper. But that’s the thing – we all do.
I supressed true feeling and did know how to process.
I hid myself in clothes, shoes, eating and trying to be the perfect person.
I expected others to make me happy and pick up the pieces around me.
I blamed so many people for my unhappiness and the joy that was stolen through the turmoil of my 20’s.
But then, I realised.. the only person that can change all of this was me.
2016 was a turnasround for me – the transition of knowing that this was not all life in store for me.
So here are the 20 things that I am proud of and you should also consider making a list for yourself too, so you can remember the good things amongst all the hell.
- I always show up
- I am professional, polite and had an incredible work ethic
- I became a homeowner at 24
- I travelled
- I battled sickness and toxic relationships and pushed through
- I set boundaries
- I continue to pray
- I list the things I am grateful for everyday
- I helped people through their difficulties
- I am a good wife (most of the time)
- A reliable and trustworthy friend
- I am a devoted daughter / sister / granddaughter
- I am creative
- I am allowed to laugh and be funny and actually I am a funny person
- I am incredibly intelligent
- I am confidently humble and kind
- I see the good in people and situations
- I am dedicated to making my world a better place
- I am fit and healthy and have healed most of my illnesses through, eating more mindfully, letting go of negative energy and conserving my time
- I am an amazing, brave and involved mummy!
Now list your 20 things!
Remember good always happens amongst the bad – this is life. It’s how we reflect and the power we give the bad over the good that determines our freedom and growth.
Have a kick ass 2020